Olive Oil Orange Almond Cake
Prep Time|20 Minutes
Cooking Time|30 Minutes
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oranges
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush a 9-inch pan with butter. Zest 1 orange.
- Carefully separate the egg yolks and egg whites, placing whites and yolks in 2 separate large bowls. Add the salt to egg whites. Using a hand or stand mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 2 min.
- Add the sugar to yolks and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 min. To the bowl, add remaining 6 tbsp oil, almond extract, vanilla extract, and orange zest and beat until combined. Using a spatula, stir in the almond flour until well mixed. Gently fold egg whites into cake batter. (don't let the whites deflate).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth top and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake 30–35 min. Cool cake completely in pan.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and an orange segment.