Mediterranean Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Cooking Time|20 Minutes
- 2 yellow peppers
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (796ml)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 lbs sausages
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut thin slice from stem end of all peppers to remove the top. Remove the stems and clean the inside. Remove ribs and seeds; rinse the peppers. Stand peppers upright in a baking dish and place it in the oven while you prepare the filling. (This will allow your peppers to cook through before adding the precooked stuffing)
- In a sauté pan add olive oil, onions, garlic & chili powder and cook until onions are caramelized. Add sausages and break them into smaller pieces (before you add the sausages remove casing)
- While the sausages are cooking, prepare the rice. Add rice to a pot of boiling water or vegetable broth and cook according to package instructions. Set aside when rice is cooked.
- Into the sausages mixture, add the can of chopped tomatoes, the vegetable broth, parsley, basil, salt and pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice into the sausage mixture and mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- It’s stuffing time! Stuff peppers with the mixture and stand them upright in a baking dish. Top peppers with the shredded cheese. Cover peppers with their top and cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until peppers are tender and cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh herbs.
- Bon appétit!