Heart Shaped Linzer Cookies
Prep Time|20 minutes
Cooking Time|10 minutes
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups almond flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 jar raspberry jam (for filling)
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, and baking powder and beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down sides and bottom of mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add flour until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Divide cookie dough in half and shape into two round disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one dough disk from the refrigerator at a time so that dough stays cold. Generously sprinkle flour under and on top of dough. Using rolling pin coated in flour, roll each dough disk out to about 1⁄8 to 1⁄6 inch thickness.
- With the large heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 24 cookies and place on the two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Using the smaller cookie cutter, cut "windows" from the middle of only 12 of the cookies. (If dough has warmed during rolling and cutting, chill in refrigerator for 10 more minutes before baking.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (rotating halfway through) until bottom edges are very lightly brown. Don't over bake!
- Allow cookies to cool a couple of minutes on the baking sheets before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, spoon a dollop of jam on top of each solid cookie. Smooth out the jam leaving a small border around the edge of the cookie (about 1⁄8 inch wide).
- Pour 1⁄2 cup of powdered sugar into a fine mesh strainer and lightly dust the tops of each "window" cookie cutout.
- Gently sandwich the dusted "window" cookies on top of the solid jam-topped cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!