French Onion Soup
Prep Time|10 Minutes
Cooking Time|3 Hours
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 4 slices provolone or gruyere cheese
- 4 slices thick crusty bread, toasted
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add a little butter to the pot and let it melt.
- Add sliced onions, pepper and garlic powder and sauté for 7-8 minutes until tender.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cover for at least 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, preheat broiler. Line individual oven-proof bowls with baking sheet.
- Ladle soup into the bowls. Top each with a slice of toasted bread and a slice of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts and is slightly golden. Serve warm.