Biscoff Cinnamon Buns
Prep Time|20 minutes
Cooking Time|2 Hours
Ingredients (for the dough)
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 4 cups and a 1⁄4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup of ice-cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 ounces of Lotus cookies, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Room-temperature unsalted butter, for the pan
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Warm milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, then simmer on low for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Transfer 1⁄3 cup hot milk to a stand mixer bowl. In the saucepan, whisk 1⁄4 cup flour into the remaining milk, heat until thickened, and add to the mixer bowl.
- Add cold water and eggs to the mixer bowl, then mix in yeast and 4 cups flour on low speed. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Add sugar and salt, mix until smooth for 15-20 minutes. Slowly add butter. Let the dough rise in a buttered bowl for 1-1.5 hours at room temperature, then chill overnight.
- In a food processor, pulse cookies, sugar, cinnamon, and salt for crumbs. Add butter to make the filling. Butter and line a pan. Roll out the dough, spread filling, roll into a spiral, and chill. Cut into pieces, arrange in the pan, and let rise for 30-60 minutes.
- Cover with buttered foil, bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15-20 more minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add butter, mix. Spread icing on cooled buns.