Beef and Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs beef cubes
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 large carrots cut into pieces
- 3 sliced celery branches
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 cups water with 3 beef broth cubes or 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 398ml diced tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Sear the beef for 3 to 4 minutes, until the meat is browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth cubes, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, barley and reserved meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme branches. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with your favourite crusty bread.
- Bon Appétit.