Prep Time|15 minutes
Cooking Time|20 Minutes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ lb. fresh mussels, cleaned
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can 796 ml diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mussels and white wine. Cover and steam over high heat until mussels open. Discard any unopened mussels.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil and lightly brown the garlic. Stir in the anchovies. Add pepper flakes and parley. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the cooked mussels and salt and pepper to taste. Serve in warm soup bowls topped with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired.