Crème Caramel with Maple Syrup
Prep Time|25 minutes
Cooking Time|50 -60 Minutes / 4 Hours Refrigeration Time
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup + ½ cup
- 2 cups 10% cream
- 4 Eggs
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and water and cook over medium heat, until the sugar melts. Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the liquid turns amber in colour. Remove from heat and carefully add 2 tbsp of maple syrup. Separate the caramel into six lightly buttered ramequins (½ cup capacity each). Set aside.
- In another pot, heat the cream over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the perimeter (do not bring to a boil). Remove from heat. In a bowl, with a mixer, combine the eggs, the rest of the maple syrup and the salt. Slowly add the hot cream while mixing continuously.
- Place the ramekins on a big baking platter. Pour boiling water into the platter until it reaches halfway up the ramekins. Cook in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 40 minutes, or until the tip of a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the ramekins from the water, place on a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or until the crèmes caramels are cold.
- Note: You may prepare the crèmes caramels in advance, leave them to cool and cover them. They will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.